This handgun and carbine course is designed for SWAT personnel (or other personnel) who are responsible for the firearms training for their SWAT Team (or other Tactical Team/Unit). The course includes safety protocols, lesson plan development, training documentation, decision making, course of fire development, running a range, lethal force options, and adult learning concepts.
Students of this course are required to qualify (both handgun& carbine) on the first day of class. The qualification course will be provided before the course begins, giving student time to practice the qualification course of fire. Failure to qualify will be cause for dismissal from the course.
CATO'S Firearms Instructor Course meets the POST firearm training regulation mandate and supports the recommendations under Section 10.2 of CA POST SWAT Guidelines and Penal Code section 13514.1(d).
POST Approved - Plan IV
POST Control # - 1185-21640-19002
Registration and Course Attendee Letter https://app.box.com/s/cpd05opgmp9oo894jtzii9xn41qmu713
1. Student must bring an agency lesson plan/course of fire/qualification standard
2. Student must pass at least one of the CATO pistol standards and one of the CATO carbine standards to graduate the course. Course of fire will be provided prior to the first day of the course.
3. Students are required to run range drills under the supervision of an instructor
4. Student must conduct a 60-minute Team presentation on a firearm course of fire.
5. Student must pass 25 question final exam with 100% passing.
6. Students will provide, prior to Class, the type of Pistol and Carbine they use.
TFIC is taught by current operational members of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Special Enforcement (SEB) firearms instructor cadre. These instructors are responsible for all firearms training at SEB.
1. Students will need to bring their deployable tactical gear including: vest, helmet, gloves, hearing protection, clear eyes and BDU style uniform.
2. Students will need 1,500 rounds of pistol ammunition and 1,500 rounds of carbine ammunition.