I will make every effort to uphold the following:
- I will encourage good choices by my children and their friends. It is my job as a parent to be an active voice, preparing them to make positive choices for fun during and after their middle and high school years.
- I will encourage open dialogue with my children regarding drugs, alcohol, relationships, private cyber lives, and other risky areas in our youth culture.
- I will expect positive relationships between my children and other youth. No bullying, cyberbullying, no illicit photography or videos, no spreading rumors, and no harmful or hateful words about others. I will talk about the mental health consequences that can result. I will endeavor to model positive behavior with my family.
- I will set expectations for my children. I will know where they are going, who they are with, what their plans are, and when they will return home. I will ask whether there will be drugs or alcohol where they are going and if parents will be at home.
- Recognizing that access to alcohol and prescription drugs might tempt my child or any friends that visit our home, I will keep all alcohol in a locked cabinet, and I will keep all prescription drugs out of sight or in a locked cabinet.
- I will actively supervise all gatherings or parties of youth in my home or on my property, and will endeavor to have at least one responsible adult for every 30 youth. I will not allow youth to possess or use alcohol, marijuana, tobacco or other illegal or non-prescribed drugs in my home or on my property. I recognize that youth should not leave gatherings unsupervised and then return.
- I will honestly and in good faith communicate with any Decatur Parents Network parent of a child I personally observe engaging in risky behavior. If another parent shares a situation with me about my child, I will thank them for the information. I do not want to be judged, and I will endeavor not to judge others.